Thursday, January 26, 2012

The perks of my job

If you have read my previous posts, you know i work in a spa one day a week. Seven hours total a week.
I went back to work this week after a few weeks off. I couldn't even finish my 7 hour shift. I called the girl who relieves me to see if she would come in early. I only asked her to come in an hour earlier. I am sure she would have come in even earlier if I asked. She is good like that. I am just lame. When it is quiet and there are no appointments and the phone is quiet, I find myself falling asleep sitting up. I think its the spa music. I don't like just sitting with nothing to do.

The last time I had my eyebrows done was a few months ago. Be careful what you wax/pluck when you are younger because it has a tendency to not grow back after awhile. I do not have the Greek gene that one of my children has. She could literally wax once a week. I can go a long time. On the day I worked I asked one of my favorite estheticians to wax me. She always takes care of me. She will do it early or at the end of her shift. I just bring the phone in the room with me. If i need to take care of my ahem "mustache" I will just bring the phone in the bathroom and do it myself. So on the day I work I get my waxing taken care of.

When the girls need to practice a new facial, microdermabrasion, etc. who do they ask? Me. Gee I guess I can make time for it. When my boss/friend is interviewing, sometimes she asks me do the interview. That means even more facials, massages, nails for me. I am not going to lie, sometimes they just are not good. I am always very honest in my assessments. I have had pedicures where I have had to go get a pedicure after the pedicure. It is just like the hairdressing profession. You are either good at it or you aren't. It has to come naturally. Personality also plays a big part in this profession. You have to have one.

I have also been known to tell a new hire that she needs to do a facial on me so that I can recommend her to clients. I really do want to see who I can match her up with. When first time clients call I can kind of feel them out and know who to put them with. So it is to her benefit.

We also get gratis. Every other month we get to pick a certain monetary amount of products. The spa I work at has its own product line of skin care and makeup. I try and pick new things so that I can tell a client about them. If I like something I can sell it. If I don't like it, I am not so good at it. I do love most of the products.

A few of my gratis items

I can take as much time off as I want. I think I took five weeks off when my daughter had her baby.
They are thinking of opening another spa. That would mean more hours. I am not sure if I am ready for that. They have spoiled me by only having me come in once a week. I will work whatever they want me to work though. If they need a day off here and there I do fill in. I also fill in for them the whole time they are on vacation.

My job gets me out of the house. Even if it is only one day. I get to interact with the public on a different level than at the mall or in my lonely little cul de sac. It is not always good, but for the most part it is. I have something to talk about other than the price of produce or the new boots I bought. I can wear some of my favorite dresses. I have also made many friends over the years.

When I work I treat it as if it were my own spa. It is a great place to work. I love my job. I get all of this for working just one day a week. Not bad right?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you have a great job. I want to be able to work part time somewhere I love too.

    ReplyDelete